Hi Friends ~

There are a number of reasons a home going on the market may be vacant —  new builds, flipped properties and rental properties now being sold to name a few.   So why is it so valuable to the seller to stage these homes when in many cases it’s already been painted and prepped for a buyer?

Statistically Speaking . . .

  • Vacant homes sell, on average, for 15% less money (HomeGain)
  • Staged homes spend 78% less time on the market than unstaged homes (HomeGain and Real Estate Staging Association)


If these statistics aren’t a compelling enough reason to stage a vacant home, read on!

Online Appeal

With 93%+ of buyers looking to the internet before even stepping out to look at a home, a seller really needs to “Have them at Hello”!  Don’t take the chance of having them overlook an amazing property because it doesn’t view well online (or as well as your competition with a staged property)!!


Vacant = “House”/ Furnished = “HOME”   

A vacant house is just that . . . a house.  Statistically, only 10% of buyers can envision the potential of a house and the remaining 90% will be, well . . . challenged.  If you ask any real estate agent or expert, buyers typically shop for a home on logic (i.e., we want a home with a first floor master,  4 bedrooms, living room, family room, eat in kitchen, etc.) but end up buying on emotion, falling in love with a property that may or may not hit everything on their must-have checklist.    Think back to how you felt going through a model home or apartment.  Didn’t it make you want to move right in?

LR 3 Before_compressed - Copy - Copy

LR 3 After_compressed - Copy - Copy


Hard to Judge Room Sizes

Most people  have trouble judging room sizes in a vacant home.  Will my king sized bed work in this room?  What size table will this eat in kitchen accommodate?  Typically a vacant home will appear smaller.   A perfect example:  I recently staged a small bungalow for a client and at first glance the small bedroom seemed hardly big enough to accommodate anything larger than a twin bed.  I was not only able to place a queen sized bed in this room, but also 2 nightstands and a full sized dresser!

Bedroom Before Staging

Bedroom After Staging

Bedroom After Staging


Hard to Visualize How to Furnish Open Floor Plans

One of the big trends in home layouts is the open concept floor plan which to the non-visual buyer can be overwhelming.  Effectively furnishing an open concept home is a skill that a staging expert can bring to the table.


Great Room After 4_compressed


What is this Room?

I often run across homes that have quirky layouts, especially with older homes that have had an addition or two, and the end result may be a room or rooms where the potential function is unclear, especially if left unfurnished.

Den 2 Before_compressed - Copy - Copy


Focus of Vacant Home Will be on Imperfections

With nothing else to look at, every minor imperfection, perceived or real, will stand out to a potential buyer.

Nail pops on ceiling

Buyers Stay Longer in Furnished Spaces

As a seller, you want them to stay and form an emotional connection~ see above!

May Signal a Level of Desperation to Sell

A buyer may believe that seller of an empty home is in a more desperate position and could negatively impact any offer coming in.

Are you convinced?   If not, take a look at these client testimonials or contact me here.  I’m more than happy to connect you with past clients who are believers!!!

Until the next time ~

Signature for Blog 3





Real Home by Jude is located in Brighton, Michigan servicing all of Southeast Michigan including:  Brighton, Howell, Ann Arbor, Plymouth, Canton, South Lyon, Novi, Northville, Commerce, Walled Lake, Wixom, Walled Lake, Milford, Highland, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Livonia, Southfield, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Fenton, Detroit,  Oakland County, Livingston County, Wayne County and Washtenaw County. 

Contact Real Home by Jude to schedule a home staging or design consultation.